How to improve SEO of your WordPress website
Nowadays, many are shifting from a traditional static site to dynamic WordPress sites. It’s because of the effective customizing feature and simple drag and drops component. As of now, WordPress is amongst the topmost open-source Content Management Systems that are accessible.
In short, WordPress is leading the list, as 30-35% of total website owners all around the world use WordPress as their powering tool. You can utilize WordPress for website creation without any issues, as it is highly customizable and easy to work.
It is also a free open-source that proffers phenomenal services to its clients. All you need before accessing WordPress is a domain name and web hosting plan. You can create a website or even start a blog using WordPress.
Once the website is successfully built, you have the responsibility to get it all set and gain a good search engine ranking. For the same, you can use Search Engine Optimization techniques.
Benefits of Search Engine Optimization
- Improved page authority
- Enhanced domain authority
- Easy identification by Google’s search engine algorithm
- Good search engine ranking
- Generate leads
- Improve reach and engagement
- Brand awareness and authority
- Improve credibility
Top 7 ways to improve SEO on your WordPress website
Here, we get you an informative article that explains the top 7 ways to improve the SEO of your WordPress website.
Read till the end to get a better understanding of the same, here, we explore!
1) Effective use of Permalinks
Permalink stands for permanent links. It is a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) that cannot get changed and remains susceptible. They are generally user friendly and acts as a searching tool. Hence, while choosing a Permalink, you will have to be careful and attentive.
Picking a better Permalink is the beginning of a successful SEO optimized page. In later stages, you will have to depend on plugins and themes to make is more productive. The default permalink (plain type) comes with a query string specification. It is neither universally acceptable nor SEO friendly. Thus, you could prefer other available formats.
Do’s while using Permalinks:
- Choose a permalink that is easily noticeable by many people.
- Try to use the title name as Permalink, it will help your audience identify things way better.
- Keep it short and simple.
Don’ts while using Permalinks
- Never use hard spelled words, as it affects search potential.
- It’s better not to use the default permalink. You can change the format in settings.
- Creativeness is always appreciable. But, not to try in Permalinks. The simpler is your link, the easier it gets identified.
2) Smart domain name
The start of a successful website is its domain name. Picking the best domain name involves various criteria like availability, SEO friendly, and user friendly. When you can work on with an SEO friendly domain name, automatically, your site gets popularity.
For your note, a good domain name increases credibility, authority, and brand identity. As your domain name is one kind of your brand awareness and authority, it’s highly recommended to pick the most reliable domain name in the start itself. Changing the domain often reduces your credibility and misses your presence.
There are plenty of top rated domain and web hosting providers. Some of them are GoDaddy, Hostinger, Bluehost, and so forth. You can research and find the one that works well with your core domain and need.
Do’s in choosing a domain name:
- Include an effective short domain name
- Your domain name and brand name can be the same for better identification
- Can use trendy words to make it unique
- You can add some creativity to it, but it should be easily recognizable
Don’ts in choosing a domain name:
- Avoid using numerical values to the domain name
- Bypass jargons and slangs to it
- It is good not to include any abbreviations and symbols
- Eliminate words with large syllables
- Try to avoid native words to it
3) Use SEO friendly theme
You can access more than thousands of themes online. Yet, only handpicked options are good enough to call as SEO friendly. In a sense, SEO includes titles, alt text, visual inputs, better accessible social media icons, and such things. When a theme comes handy with all these as inbuilt components, we could find it as an SEO friendly theme.
Whatever theme you choose should also be easily customizable with custom changes applicable i.e., it should support changing default fonts, colors, styles, and so on.
For your reference – you can use themes like Divi, Astra, SEO crawler, Pofo, Schema, etc. These themes are built, keeping SEO at their foremost consideration. Among these, Astra has more active installations. The prime reason behind it is, they are pretty easy to customize.
Do’s while picking a theme:
- Keep your color code in your mind
- Make a note of all tabs and sub-menus you need
- You can compile the features of different landing pages that you expect to place
- Prioritize the meaning of your site
- Choose a responsive and mobile-friendly theme
Don’ts while picking a theme:
- Don’t choose a theme that is hard to customize
- Not to prefer a thee where the default cannot be changed
- Don’t approve a theme before checking the demo
4) Yoast SEO plugin
It is one of the best plugins that almost every WordPress site uses. Yoast SEO plugin gets intended to increase the technical SEO standards of your site. Various reasons make Yoast SEO plugin a good search engine optimizing plugin from the distinct types of the plugin available in WordPress.
Yoast SEO plugin possesses both free and premium versions. The Premium version needs a minimal payment. Yet, it is worth investing. A one-time investment gets you unlimited access to it to the entire lifetime.
Advantages of the Yoast SEO Plugin:
- Valid data implementation
- Restrict duplicate content
- Attract more visitors
- More Visitors through Google search
- Keyword Optimization
- Updated content usage
- Internal linking
5) Optimize images
Visuals always help you in boosting SEO. Either it is a blog or website, if you add visuals, for sure, it is going to boost your visual. The key reason behind it is most people like visuals. Visuals get considered in two different aspects – Normal utilization Vs Visuals marketing.
When a person is not aware of the technical benefits of SEO and utilizes visuals, it gets termed as normal utilization. It is not effective and does not make any impact.
Ways in Visuals Marketing:
- Effective use of an alt tag is preferable, as it helps the browser or server to locate the image effectively.
- You can optimize the visuals according to the content management systems
- Using visuals that is relevant to the site or article will be an added advantage
- You can avoid using copyrighted images. To find the best images, you can direct yourself to some paid pictures buying sites like Shutterstock. Else, if you need to purchase it for free, go with pexels.com
6) Add page titles and Meta descriptions
Titles (Meta tags) are one such important feature that you need to consider. Your title should be though-provoking, creative, and it should attract your users. Meta descriptions are vital as your search engine locates you easily by employing it. Other than titles and headlines, Meta descriptions play a vital role in getting recognized.
Meta descriptions have a uniques place in google search engine algorithm. Therefore, if you can effectively use the Meta descriptions, your SEO gets improved with you visible in search engines.
Do’s in meta tags and descriptions:
- Be concise and up to a point.
- Add a Meta tag on every landing page.
- Use a precise keyword both in Meta tags and Meta descriptions.
- Choose the best keywords. To make a keyword check, you can use UberSuggest, Google trends, etc.
- Make use of good copywriting principles
Dont’s in Meta tags and descriptions:
- Don’t exceed a character limit of 150-160
- Avoid resuing meta tags
7) Use categories and tags
Grouping is one such important feature of SEO. The better a particular thing is accessible, the more your search results and active users count increases. Keeping this in mind, you have to work on effectively in this. The words you choose for categories and tags should follow the same rule that you do in the keyword search.
Only when you can use an easily accessible keyword as the name of a category or tag, google’s search engine algorithm identifies it with ease. You can use the Yoast SEO plugin along with this for effective results.
Uses of categories and tags:
- Locate a piece of content quickly.
- Better search appearance
- Organizing website content
- Easy for readers and users
These are the top 7 ways where you can increase our SEO and build your WordPress website. More than the SEO thing, there is something that gets to followed to gain trust and enhance the number of genuine users. Yes, it is your trust and loyalty towards your users. Be genuine with your users to gain a potential audience.
September 6, 2021